Mr. Symons is a co-founder and the managing partner of Symons Markwith LLP’s Newport Beach office. Over half of Mr. Symons’ practice consists of counseling public technology companies on a variety of transactional matters. The remainder of Mr. Symons’ practice consists of representing sophisticated closely-held businesses and innovative start-ups.
Mr. Symons advises these clients on a variety of matters, including:
- In-bound and out-bound technology licensing;
- Partnering and joint venturing;
- Making strategic acquisitions;
- Commercial leasing;
- Managing legal risks;
- Forming, funding and growing businesses;
- Putting in place the legal framework to bring products and services to market; and
- Selling businesses to strategic and financial buyers.
A significant portion of Mr. Symons’ practice focuses on representing public technology companies in in-bound and out-bound technology licensing. Additionally, Mr. Symons has significant commercial leasing experience and represents several public companies in their tenant-side commercial leasing transactions. Mr. Symons also represents several closely-held real estate holding companies in managing their retail leasing portfolios.
Prior to forming Symons Markwith LLP in 2015, Mr. Symons founded and managed a predecessor firm for five years. Before that, Mr. Symons was an associate in O’Melveny & Myers LLP’s corporate practice group. Mr. Symons is also a certified public accountant (license currently maintained in inactive status). Before practicing law, Mr. Symons was the North and South American internal audit manager for a global company. Prior to this, Mr. Symons was an external auditor, in which capacity he performed financial statement audits of public and private companies and municipal governments.
Mr. Symons attended law school at the University of Southern California, where he served as a member of the Southern California Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif.
- University of Southern California School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A., Business Economics, 1995)